Sunday, December 18, 2011

Peace on Earth, and Good will toward men

In an effort to finally get into the "Christmas Spirit", I began listening to Christmas music and reading the story of Christ's birth. The word I have read and sang over and over is "peace". It got me thinking about our world and the lack of peace in the everyday life of the Christmas Season.
During the Christmas season we see the word "peace" everywhere, but one thing I've realized is how our culture has transformed Christmas to no longer be about peace and joy, but rather about moving quickly, buying loads of presents, and flipping each other off in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Super peaceful, huh?
Last night, I was forced into the mob of people shopping at the mall in order to finish shopping for my sister's Christmas present. I seriously wanted to cry I was so surrounded by gluttony and indulgence. People were fighting over the last necklace at Forever21, and babies were crying as their mothers dug through the piles of clearance items, arms too full to hold them. I was astonished. I thought Christmas was about "Good will toward men" not stomping on each others toes to get the last red sweater off the shelf.
What has happened to our world?
Strangely, my internship has been one of the most peaceful things in this time of the year. I really appreciate how calm and peaceful everything is on a daily basis. Yes, there are times when things get stressful, but most of the time, the church office is at peace with their work, with their life, and with their relationships with each other. This past week, instead of church life getting crazy, everything has slowed down. We aren't planning some extravagant Christmas service or any of that jazz, rather, we are just enjoying each other and the season all around us. With simplicity comes peace.

1 comment:

  1. Question: Is the church's approach one that you believe is the right one in this time of year? What are the potential outcomes of the approach, vs an approach that is focused on a big Christmas production? Do both approaches have values? I'd like your thoughts!! Good post!

    ReplyDelete