Sunday, December 11, 2011

Be a kid.

In less that 4 months, I will be an adult. An official, legal, grown up. Scary, huh?
Since I was little, writing has been my outlet. I have dozens of journals filled with my thoughts, desires, heartbreaks, and overall growth. It's funny, looking back and reading the things I used to think and the ways I used to express myself and realize how completely dramatic and innocent I was. Honestly, I had no clue what I was doing, who I thought I was, or who I was going to be. Back in the day, I lived in the moment. I breathed the fresh air, and ran the streets of my neighborhood barefoot. There were no cares in the world. What happened to that little girl? The incredible truth is, she's still here.
Some of my friends constantly address my innocence. I get it, guys, I'm naive. I still blow bubbles in my chocolate milk, and play outside in the rain. What's wrong with that? I think, Nothing. I have 4 months to live it up. I have four months to run through the sprinklers, and ride in the shopping cart at Walmart. I have four months before the world tells me I have to have it all together. I have four months. Why not be free?
Freedom. It's the one thing every adolescent teenager wants. They tell their parents that all they want is to get their licence, move out of the house, buy their own car, live their own life, get married, have kids... grow up. Sorry to burst all the bubbles of those ready-to-be-free teenagers out there, but the time to be free is now.
As an official "child" I know the pressures of just being a kid. It's hard to live up to our parents expectations, do well in school, get all those fancy scholarships, and make the world believe that you are who you say you are. It's hard, and honestly, a lot of us kids are broken, battered, and bruised. But that shouldn't keep us from living our lives to the absolute fullest, having fun while we can, and living out our calling as young people. We are to set an example of playful, joyful, innocence.
Jesus told the adults to become more child-like, to be innocent, pure, trusting, full of joy and excitement, to be passionate, and to just be who we are, to just be who He made us to be. We're all just kids. I have four months until I'm expected to have it all together. But isn't having it all together overrated anyhow? To all those adults out there: stop worrying, stressing, trying to paint a pretty picture, because the truth is, everyone just wants to see the real you. Guaranteed, the real, honest, out-of-the-box you is probably a lot more fun, and a lot more attractive than the put together person we all seem to create for ourselves. Get out of the box. Be free. Be a kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment