Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cliche, but true.

Thanksgiving. To be frank, it's not my favorite holiday. Every Thanksgiving I channel my inner hipster that says that I'm too cool to do the cliche, "I am so thankful for..." posts on facebook, and say thank you to God in my prayers even though I normally wouldn't. It seems... fake.  So when looking at this screen, I was determined to not be a part of the "let's give thanks because it's Thanksgiving clan". But, sadly, the truth is, that I don't say "thank you" enough. I unknowingly take a lot of things for granted. As Thanksgiving approached this year, I fell into this pool of self pity where I seemed to dwell more on who wouldn't be at Thanksgiving lunch, and the fact that it may be my last Thanksgiving in the States for a long time, that I almost dreaded Thanksgiving day. When the day came, though, I found myself surrounded by people who loved me more than I can imagine, and looking across the table at my grandma with tears running down her face out of pure and honest gratitude. I am more than thankful for them. I am blessed beyond words. I am amazed at God's grace, because Lord knows that I don't deserve the friends, family, and amazing opportunities that are constantly placed in front of me. I really am thankful.
I am thankful for my family, and their constant support. I am thankful for my calling to serve in Guatemala. I am thankful for the leaders that have continuously guided me in my relationship with Christ. I am thankful for my friends, that consistently light up my life. I am so very thankful for the city I live in. I am thankful for the country in which I was placed. I am thankful for Quik-Trip and apple cider. I am thankful for late nights at IHOP and friends who finish my sentences. I am thankful. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment