Friday, September 16, 2011

Site Search

Today Cody, the other Link Year student, and I had the pleasure of spending the day in the car. We drove to about 15 different sites to talk to the Volunteer Coordinators at each site. It was a grueling experience, to be completely honest. We bonded through our exhaustion and frustration, all day long. I have to admit, though, that my favorite part of the day was asking the person we talked to if we could take a picture with them. To which we received many crazy and confused faces, and lots of awkward giggles. Each time it went about like this: "Thank you so much for your help, oh, I know this is kinda weird, but can I take a picture with you?" "You're so wel-- uh, wait, you want a picture with me?" "Yeah, I know its kinda silly, we just need a little proof that we came to see you today." "Oh, then, uh, yeah, sure, lets stand in front of this strange monument, that proves that this is where you are" "oh, yeah! Okay, awesome, thank you so much."
A couple of the ladies volunteered someone else in the office to jump in the picture to take thier place, and once, maybe twice, they were so excited about taking a picture with us they could barely stand it. The reactions to our questions were hilarious. It made my day every time.
Today definitely challenged the both of us with being comfortable with being uncomfortable. I swear, I am the most awkward person on the phone that ever existed. Lots of rambling, so much so, that I could almost hear the people rolling thier eyes and making annoyed faces. Before I hung up the phone each time I almost felt the need to formally apologize for my phone talking inadequacy. I was horrible at it, but it was funny for Cody at least.
Speaking of Cody, his driving skills could use a little work. Dear Cody is a little unpracticed in driving downtown, so we spent a lot of time driving in circles, and gritting our teath as we tested out Codys anti-lock break system. It was.. awesome? I feared for my life just a little bit.
What I'm getting at, is that today was tough, exhausting, and a little awkward most of the time, but fun, in some crazy definition of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment