Thursday, October 6, 2011

Redskins for Life

In the last week, I've come to the end of a 13 year long journey which is Union Public Schools. I've worked my way up the ladder of knowledge to what many say is allowed to be the end. Today I celebrate the end of my career at Union Pubic Schools. I am picking up my diploma, hugging my teachers, and thanking God for the opportunities He has given, and the success I had in school and beyond. School was never hard for me. I was perfectly satisfied with straight B's. If I had an A, that was icing on the cake. I let myself get stressed out over things that don't and wont matter in the long run, and made friends that have constantly encouraged me in my dreams and hopefully touched a few lives in the process.
Sometimes I feel as if I've cheated the educational system by graduating early. I like to think of it as sticking it to the very large 6A man. School was never my passion. Though I had many friends, and loved my teachers, I never woke up in the morning thinking, "Today I'm going to do something great." Instead it was always, "Today will be exactly like yesterday, and the day before that." Monotony at it's finest. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Union. I love the atmosphere of the hallways, the people I saw and talked to on a daily basis that I would have never known if I had not been put in a class with them, the pride of our dedication to sports and acedemics both, suprising, I know, and basically all of it. I love having to yell over the crowds, and smile at the people that gave me strange looks for wearing bright red overalls. Union was great. It made me the person I am today, no doubt.
Coming to the end of the road, I've had a lot of time to look back. When talking to my friends, they discuss math problems, and puns about statistics, and while that is awesome, and I'm so proud of them, I am so glad that I am not in their shoes. I have always known that I have a greater purpose than getting an education, and running the halls of Union High School, and currently, I feel like I've found it. I'm doing what I know is God's purpose for me, and while it's lonely most of the time, I know that I am in the very center of God's will. I miss my friends, but the joy that I have from spending each day doing what I love makes any of those feelings fade away.
High School was an incredible chapter in my life. The teachers at Union, and the incredible administration has blessed me completely. Without Union, I would not be the girl I am today. I've learned so much, but now it's time to move on to a greater chapter. I will always be a Union Redskin. Redskins for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment