Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ministraaayyy! (Yes, this is for a purpose)

So this past week I've finally gotten into the groove of the life of an intern and student. It's been really exciting to see how God is going to use me each day. From bouncing babies to digging through the youth ministries closet, my ministry is full of silly wonders. I've been struggling this week with having to figure out where I stand in the expected maturity for my age category. I've been questioning whether I should react to things like a boring ol' adult, or a spontaneous seventeen year old. The answer I've found somewhere in between.
I am seventeen. A perfect age, I might add. I have responsibilities, but am also expected to hula hoop in the great room and spill ramen noodles all over myself. I'm still a kid, just waiting to make yet another mistake. My youthfulness is a benefit to those around me. When working with the kids in the bilingual pre-school, I am the one they look to when a kid is about to stuff something up his nose or eat playdough. I have the grace and tenacity to dive and gently take it out of the said childs hands before disaster strikes. When tables need rolling, I'm your girl.  I successfully wobble and wince at every rolling over of my feet. I love hanging signs in the hallways. I really do. This is not sarcasm. Cleaning out the student minstry closet? No task is too big for me, the young wiggly one.
The title "intern" sounds so official. Ministry sounds so grown up. So for now, I'd like to think of myself as the Interrrnnnn!! :)))) and the work I do Ministraaayyy.

Here's to more serious matters. My internship site is pretty great. I love all the people I work with, and we work in a pretty amazing part of Tulsa. I am proud to say that I am an intern at Garnett.
Here are some of my favorite things, people, places, and things we do at Garnett:
1. Beth West-- She keeps me in line, while encouraging me to be a kids, when appropriate.
2. The Green Country Event Center- one of our largest assets, the GCEC is a large building that is used by 5 different churches, two adult ed. schools, two pre-school centers, and much more. It's kinda the bomb.
3. Cafe Mosaic- this wonderful cafe holds one thing that brings the whole Event Center together, the coffee. I love meeting all the people coming in and out. We have a blast.
4. Charlies Chicken (down the street)- This has become one of my favorite stops, the fried okra and mashed potatoes are to die for.
5. Hispanic community- we are a big fan of the hispanic community that surrounds Garnett. They make up a large part of our ministry and what we love to do.
6. ZIPLINE- Yes, friends, we have a zipline behind our church. It's kinda a big deal.
7. The Bilingual Preschool- Serving children and families in two languages. What could be better? (Atienden a los niños y las familias en dos linguas. ¿Qué podría ser mejor?)
8. Taco stands- We've made these stands/trucks a weekly venture as we hope to attend all the taco stands in East Tulsa by the end of the school year. :) The lengua tacos are the best. Trust me.
That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.
:)
 

1 comment:

  1. So, I read this, like you begged people to do on fb...it's really good, and I hope you didn't write and delete, and write and delete, and write and delete. Hope you continue to enjoy the process.. bless God, bells others, be blessed.

    ReplyDelete